Common goals for the District among all partners include:
- Support the city and campus sustainability plans
- Strengthen walkability and connectivity to the district
- Support campus initiatives
- Create an enlivened place where people are motivated to live and innovate
- Engage community/voters stakeholders through the collaborative process
- Address traffic challenges
The 45-acre Nishi site is a gateway to the District that is proposed to include a mix of university-related research park development complemented by high density urban housing.